Aircraft design includes several materials ranging from metals and other non metals , Some of the Construction Elements are :
Aluminium is one of the most widely used metal in case of aircraft industry because :
- They have high strength to weight ratio
- Also Alloys of Aluminium can increase the hardness and strength
What is an Alloy ?
Alloys = composition of 2 or more metals !
Yes, alloys play a major role in designing aircraft parts.
Magnesium , which has weight 2/3 as of Aluminum is also used in aircraft industry due to :
- low resistance to corrosion and
- light weight
- Has high strength
- Good resistance to sea water corrosion
Steel Alloys :
Non Metals :
- Plastics (Reinforced plastics)
- Carbon Fiber Materials
Fist plane from wright brothers - Wright Flyer used wood from an evergreen tree - Sitka spruce !