"Elastomeric" sounds similar to "Elastomer" - a polymer with eleasticity.
Elastomeric bearings are generally made of rubber(vulcanised) blocks reinforced with steel plates.
These bearings support horizontal bridge structure with piers attached.
They withstand :
- Transmission of forces ,i.e normal and horizontal.
- And also horizontal movements
Elastomeric bearings protects from expansion of bridges due to negative effects like temperature and wind etc.
- Contractions are absorbed by bearing pads
Elastomeric bearings have :
- low initial cost
- low maintenance
- also can withstand wide movements
Based on material used , these bearings can be classified like :
- Chloroprene rubber bearings
- Natural rubber bearings
- Butyl rubber ...etc