Different Roles, Different Names
• Software Developers: Software developers are professionals who are concerned with facets of the software development process which involves activities such as design and coding, computer programming, project management, etc.
• Hardware Engineers: These professionals do research, design, develop, test, and oversee the installation of computer hardware which inter alia includes computer chips, circuit boards, systems, modems, keyboards, and printers.
• System Designer: Professionals involved in system designing, Logical & Physical Designing wherein logical designing can be enumerated as the structure & characteristics such as output, input, files, database & procedures, etc.
• System Analyst: Computer engineers who work as systems analyst do research about the existing problems and plan solutions for the problem. They also recommend software and system related problems and coordinate development between business development teams.
• Networking Engineers: Networking engineers are computer professionals involved in designing, implementation, and troubleshooting of computer networks.
• DBA: DBA or Database Administrator are the professionals who are bestowed with the job to design, implement, maintain, and repair an organization's database. Inter alia DBA professionals are also known as Database Coordinator or Database Programmer in IT sector.
Tips for Getting Hired
Like all other engineering professions, Computer Engineering too requires practical knowledge to be employable. There is no short-cut for computer professionals, whatever one knows needs to be put into practice and loopholes would come out only when exposed to projects and other practices. Therefore, candidates who are willing to make a career in IT industry should have maximum exposure to practical knowledge so that they can perform efficiently. Most of the top IT colleges impart practical knowledge and offer internship programs which enlarge the chances of getting hired. Additionally, candidates from not so known colleges should do add-on certification courses offered by Microsoft, Oracle, Redhat, etc. so that they have higher chances of getting hired.